Prophet Hazrat Syedina Adam Alaihis salatus salaam’s Peak ( Famous as Adam’s Peak )

Hazrat Adam Alaihis Salaam’s Peak –Sripada- Srilanka 

Jutting sharply skyward from the lush jungles of southwestern Sri Lanka is the 7362 foot (2243 meter) peak of Sri Pada, the ‘Holy Footprint’. Also called Adam’s Peak, the mountain has the unique distinction of being sacred to the followers of four of the world’s major religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity and Islam. Long before the development of these religions, however, the mountain was worshipped by the aboriginal inhabitants of Sri Lanka, the Veddas. Their name for the peak was Samanala Kanda; Saman being one of the four guardian deities of the island. For Hindus, the name of the mountain is Sivan Adi Padham, because it was the world-creative dance of the god Shiva that left the giant footprint (5 feet 7 inches by 2 feet 6 inches). According to Buddhist traditions from as early as 300 BC, the real print is actually beneath this larger marking. Imprinted on a huge sapphire, it was left by the Buddha during the third and final of his legendary visits to Sri Lanka. When Portuguese Christians came to the island in the 16th century they claimed the impression to be the footprint of St. Thomas who, according to legend, first brought Christianity to Sri Lanka.

FIRST FOOT MARK ON EARTH OF HAZRAT ADAM ALAIHIS SALLAM. But in fact, it is the footprint of Prophet Adam (Alaihi salaam) where he stood for a thousand years of penance on one foot. When Prophet Adam (Alaihisalaam) was expelled from heaven, God put him on the peak to make the shock less terrible – Ceylon being that place on earth closest to and most like heaven.

The mountain is more easily seen from the sea than from land, and also more impressive. Early Arab seafarers fascinated with the pyramidal peak wrote of it as “the highest mountain in the world” (it is not even the highest in Sri Lanka), and “visible from three days sail”. The ancient Sinhalese also believed it to be of great height and a native legend tells “from Seyllan to Paradise is forty miles, and the sound of the fountains of Paradise is heard here”. Visited by many early world travelers, among them the Arab Ibn Batuta (1304-1368) and the Venetian Marco Polo (1254-1324), Adam’s Peak attained a legendary status as a mystic pilgrimage destination. Today the pilgrimage season commences in December and continues until the beginning of the monsoon rains in April (from May to October the mountain is obscurred by clouds). Certain parts of the path leading up the mountain are extremely steep and the climbing chains secured in these sections are said to have been placed by Alexander the Great (365-323 BC), though there is no evidence that he made it this far south on his Asia travels. Atop the peak is an oblong platform (74 x 24 feet) where stands a small Buddhist temple and the shrine of Saman with the strange footprint. Votive offerings are made here, especially of a coil of silver as long as the donor is tall, for recovery from sickness; and rain-water taken from the footprint is known to have a wonderful healing power. Adam’s Peak is also called Samanalakande or the ‘butterfly mountain’ because of the myriads of small butterflies that fly from all over the island to die upon the sacred mountain.

reference – net.


Arab tomb-stone in Ceylon

Khalid Ibn abu Bakaya was a learned & pious Arab whom sent by Caliph of Baghdad on a missionary to Ceylon. It is said that he was responsible to build the first and largest mosque in Colombo, which was said to be in Galle Buck.And it is said that he died in Colombo and buried in this mosque ground.

And a tomb-stone was erected over his grave in the 10th century A.D or 377 Hijiira, the inscription on the tomb-stone was sent by the Caliph him self.


Over 800 years it had remained undisturbed over the grave. It was removed by the Dutch Dissave of Colombo and later it was used at the door-step of one of the officers.

During the time of British reign, the officials had discovered this tomb-stone, sent it to a very clever erudite Arabic scholar at Cambridge. After many attempts, got the inscription translated. The script contained a prayer to Allah for the repose of the soul of Khalid Ibn Abu Bakaya.


Source – book SIR RAZEEK FAREED, by M.C.A Hassen

Maradana, Deans Road.

Hope many are not aware that how Maradana Deans Road name was originated.

It is said that Deans Road was named after 3 brothers, namely Samsudean, Omardean and Sheriefdean. When government wanted to change the name of the road, the junior mayor of that time Mr. Abu Baker had requested to keep the same name. Mr. Abu Baker also from this Dean family, But I am not aware how he is connected to this Dean Brothers.


Samsudean eldest of this Dean Brothers had 3 children, 2 daughters and a son. His eldest Daughter Ummu Kulzum got married to Sraiy Lebbe Mahmood Marikkar.

Dean Brothers had a printing press at their place No 60, Deans Road, Maradana. The “Muslim Nasion” paper was printed at this place. Later Siddi Lebbe had hand over the rights of the paper to Samsudean eldest brother of Deans. From him it went to his son.


The women who influenced Sir Razik’s Family

Sir Razik and the Moors claim Arab descendency. But Lady Fareed is the daughter of a Nobleman who sojourned in this country and shared in the work of Ceylon Moors.


The Government archivist has document which is of Dutch origin, it is the Tombo.   It was maintained under the Colombo Dissawany as long ago as the year 1766; details of Sir Raziks ancestry are itemized under the “head and Land Tombos of the four Gravets of Colombo.” The extract of the document under reference contains the first name Segoe Paridoe.


The subsequent reference to this line of descendancy appears on 16th March. 1829 when a lady by the name of Thangachy Umma, by her application No. 1585, applied and was granted letters of administration on the even date. She was a widow, having been married to one Wapotchy. She applied for letters of administration as the administratrix of the property of her grandfather Mamouna Pille. The correct name is Mahmud Naina; (Pulle is only an honorific)


Thangachy Umma sold by deed No.1585 to one Moetatjie, wife of Asma Marikkar Segoo Pardoo of Colombo, a garden called Ambagahawatte for a consideration of ₤37 equal to 493 Rix Dollars and four fanams. Moetatjie Umma died intestate in 1859. Her son Segoe Paredoe Udema Lebbe Marcar applied to the District court of Colombo for letters of administration. This was application No. 3173 supported by M.F.G Morgan, Proctor, dated 17th August, 1866. This Application contained an annexure giving the names of 43 heirs of Moetatjie Umma which is filed of record. Among these names there appears the name of Sella Umma who was the widow of Aresy Marcar of Slave Island and she is named in the annexure as the daughter in law of Motatjie Umma. Aresy Marcar was Motatjie Umma’s son. Yet another heir to these properties was Wapche Marikkar, grandson of Motatjie.


Mamouna Pulle referred to above was possessed of vast property. One such property was a land near the former Victoria Memorial Eye Hospital. This area, however, was earmarked under a scheme of widening of roads. It was acquired and the owner was promised compensation. It was agreed by the then Government Agent that he, his heirs or representatives should have a plot of Cinnamon land in the neighborhood. The present Dewatagaha Mosque stands on this land. Justice Berwick in District Court Case No. 61162 dated 15th November, 1873 affirms this compensation was agreed on in 1845 and on this land stood an old grave of Mussulman, which has since then come to be regarded as place of sanctity. 


He further says

“it would seem that the administratix Thangachy entered into possession of the ground with the consent Government Agent as an exchange for the land taken by Government and that from that time she and some persons not very well defined either in number or in their connection with the deceased Mamu Nayana, by calling themselves of his famiy or descendents began enhancing the religious character of the place and the collection of offerings and the erection of those buildings which have at length become woven into the present Mosque, but evidently without any but a very vague and indeterminate system of management or responsibility or trusteeship. The usual history in such cases is that some particular old man specially either with the religious sentiments, or the constructive faculty having leisure and taste that way, expands his leisure and energy in what the neighbors look on as the laudable business while at the same time they leave him to work alone at his hobby till it has developed beyond all original contemplation and they step in and claim common credit for it, or, as in this case legal title.”


The late A.M Wapche Marikar had two children by his wife Thangachy Natchia. One was a boy and the other a girl. His son was Named Abdul Raheman and his daughter Mariambu Nachia. Abdul Raheman Married Hajara Umma, elder daughter of Isubu Lebbe Marikkar Hadjiar. They had three children, two girls and one boy. The girls were named Ummu Razeena and Ummu Rakeeba and the Boy Razik.


Sir Razik, when he came age, married the grand-daughter of Seyed Abbas, a member of the Dosh Sultan Family. This was a family great renown. Seyed Abbas was very pious. He was used to constant devotion to Allah. He died at Tharaweeh prayers in the Grand Mosque, New moor Street, while prostrating in Sujood.


Seyed Abbas married Muthunga Natchia or Magdoom Natchia, a sister of Naina Marikkar and father of Abu Backer, A.M. Thowfeek, a.M Shahul Hameed and A.M. Kudoos. Seyed Abbas had a daughter named Moomina Umma should marry her cousin, Abu Backer. But owing to a misunderstanding the proposal fell through. Her father, Aeyyed Abbas, looked for a pure Arab for the hand of his daughter. It was this time that Ibraheem bin Ahmed was carrying on successful silk shop in the premises known today as Bulgarian Hotel. Ibraheem bin Ahmed was from Arab country called Zabeedee. He was very prosperous businessman and was investing large sums of money on immovable properties on either road facing his shop. A prominent figure among local Muslim circles, he joined in all their activities. He was very magnanimous with his offers of help for the educational movement, for Zahira College and Hameedia School.


Seyed Abbas married his daughter Moomina Umma to Ibrahim bin Ahmed, a nobleamn of Arab descent. A beautiful daughter, named Amina Umma was born to him. She was destined to become the wife of Sir Razik Fareed in 1913. He was the envy of many suitors.   

 Ibrahim bin ahmed’s nephew (his siter’s son) Abdulla Seyed Mohamed Dawood Al Battah is a Quazi in Crater.Aden. He is very regular correspondent with his cousin, Lady Fareed. Amina Umma or Lady Fareed has a genealogy extending right up to Mohammad (Sal) and her genealogy is given below

The roots of tree or SHAJARA

  1. Mohamed (Sallallahu Alaihi Wa sallam)
  2. Fathima (ral)
  3. Seyed Imam Hassan
  4. Seyed Imam Ali Zainul Abdeen
  5. Seyed Imam Mohamed Baqir
  6. Seyed Al Imam Jaffer Us Sadiq
  7. Seyed Ali Ul Aruly
  8. Seyed Mohamed
  9. Seyed Isa Un Naqeeb
  10. Seyed Mohamed Ahmed Muhajir
  11. Seyed Abdullah
  12. Seyed Alavi
  13. Seyed Mohamed Faqihul Muqaddam
  14. Seyed Alavi
  15. Seyed Ali Haliyal Qasam
  16. Seyed Mohamed Sahibul Mirbath
  17. Seyed Ali
  18. Seyed Al Faquihul Muqaddam Mohamed
  19. Seyed Alavi
  20. Seyed Ali Mawlad Dafeela
  21. Seyed Mohamed Sahibul Mirbath
  22. Seyed Abdul Rahman Saqqaf
  23. Seyed Abu Bakr Sakran
  24. Seyed ali
  25. Seyed Hassan
  26. Seyed Omar
  27. Seyed Hussain
  28. Seyed Saleem
  29. Seyed Salih ( of the Damper Sultan Family)
  30. Seyed Abbas (daughter of Moomina married Haji Ibraheem bin Ahmed; their daughter Amina Married A.R.A Razik, Now Sir Razik Fareed)

Sir Razik, by this marriage, had one daughter whom he named Hajara. Unfortunately, she was destined to die early.




Ambey Masjid’s brief History.

Source “Ambey Palliyil walarath Shurukkam”

The Darga shareefe of Sayyaduna Sadaath Al Sheikh Akil Muhammad Waliullah’s is in the village of Kotiyakumbura Ambey. The Waliyullah is from Hadramot, Yemen. Waliyullah had come to Ceylon with Sheikh Isthander, to spread the Message of Deen ul Islam. They had visited the Adam’s peak and through the thick jungle reached Ambey Village.